Algerian International Riyad Mahrez has won 2016 African Player of the Year award after beating 2015 winner Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang of Gabon who finished 2nd and Senegal winger Sadio Mane.
The 25-year-old scored 18 goals in 39 matches to help English side Leicester City lift the Premier League. He garnered 361 votes, Aubameyang 313 votes and Mane 186 votes.
The Algerian forward also won the coveted PFA Player of Year after helping the Foxes defeat the English giants to celebrate the club first ever League title.
Dortmund forward Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang scored 39 goals in 49 appearances to help his club finish second but he did not lift any silverware. Liverpool winger Sadio Mane is a fast rising star who will certainly challenge for the award in the coming years.
All three meet in Gabon later this month for the Africa Cup of Nations tournament that is set to start.
Other awards presented in the Abuja gala include:
- African Player of the Year: Riyad Mahrez
- CAF Platinum Award: Muhammadu Buhari
- Football Leader of the Year: Manuel Lopes Nascimento
- African Player of the Year – Based in Africa: Denis Onyango
- Referee of the Year: Bakary Papa Gassama
- Women’s Player of the Year: Asisat Oshoala
- 2016 Coach of the Year: Pitsoo Mosimane
- 2016 Youth Player of the Year: Alex Iwobi
- 2016 Most Promising Player of the Year: Kelechi Iheanacho
- Club of the Year: Memelodi Sundowns
- Women’s National Team of the Year: Nigeria
- National Team of the Year: Uganda